Who is this course for?
This course is for mothers who have children aged 0 months to 8 years old and are experiencing stress, anxiety or depression.
What mindfulness Courses are available?
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction 8 week course
- Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy 8 week course
Where is the venue?
Glasgow Mindfulness Centre ( off Maryhill Road, opposite Maryhill Train station)
When and at what time?
Monday mornings from 9.30am-11.30am
How much is the course fee?
Thanks to funding from The Big Lottery we are able to offer this course free of charge.
How to book the course?
To book your place, you can either get a referral letter from your GP or do a self-refer by calling and speaking to our course leader, then booking your place online.
Please contact us on 0141 946 56 88 by email to email@example.com
How to get more information about mindfulness training courses and the starting date of the next course. Please go to: www.glasgowmindfulnesscentre.co.uk
What is Mindfulness?
Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) is the innovative program designed by Jon Kabat-Zinn is Professor of Medicine Emeritus and founding director of the Stress Reduction Clinic and the Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society at the University of Massachusetts Medical SchoolMindfulness is a key concept within the MBSR programme and is specifically defined by its creator as follows:
PAYING ATTENTION IN A PARTICULAR WAY-ON PURPOSE, IN THE PRESENT MOMENT AND WITHOUT JUDGMENT.
The effects of mindfulness on a wide range of groups have been robustly tested and researched in some of the world’s leading universities. Amongst the many researched benefits are:
- Significant improvement in emotional and social functioning
- Improvement in general health and vitality
- Reduction in visits to healthcare provider
- Effective method of stress reduction
- Reduction in psychological distress for sufferers of long term conditions
Learning from an 8 week MBSR/MBCT course can include
- The skill of paying attention, on purpose and non-judgementally, to what goes on in the present moment in your body, mind, and the world around you.
- Shifting perspectives and seeing things in a new more helpful way for you and those around you.
- Improved confidence in yourself and ability to face life challenges
- Improved self-care and relationships with others
- Improved creativity and problem solving skills.
- An improved capacity to manage stress
- A calmer outlook in daily live
- A sense of improved physical, emotional and psychological well being
The course is entirely secular based upon the research and findings of Jon Kabat-Zinn.
The MBSR course has gone from strength to strength, with critical acclaim and support from the international medical community. Here within the UK, the Mental Health Foundation has lent its support and endorsed the course.
The course is taught over eight 2 hour sessions at weekly intervals including an additional all day session.
There can also be secondary benefits as in the case of Mindful Parenting, which deepens the parent child connection, children who grow feeling connected to their parents:
Have healthy self-esteem
Do better in school
Choose healthy relationships
Feel comfortable around adults
Explore and try new things
Have an easier time with change
Develop a positive self-concept
Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy 8 week course
The 8 week MBCT course integrates Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction with Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. This was developed to help people suffering from depression and again has a strong scientific evidence base and is recognised by NICE in the treatment of depression.
All our courses at the Centre for Mindfulness take place in very small groups. The maximum number of participants is 08.